Rainbow River Tubing – Fun Trip at KP Hole
Published on 08/17/23:
The Rainbow River! We’re back! Who knows this beautiful state park or wants a COOL place to relax while it’s still summertime hot? While the Rainbow River is nearly a 2-hour drive from St. Pete, it’s a very unique registered national landmark. First, thank you again for following our adventures on Loving St Pete on Social Media!
Cool Refreshing Water of the Rainbow River
Each day, 400 – 600 million gallons of 72-degree fresh water are produced to create the 5.7-mile-long Rainbow River. You read that right, cool refreshing water…in Florida! While this is a relaxing trip down the river, you still need to be prepared. Reference my guide below and you’ll be all set!
There are two common float options:
Option 1 (our choice): Park your car at KP Hole Park for a 3-4 hour float to Blue Run of Dunnellon Park. Rent your tube directly from KP Hole for $30/person. This covers return shuttle service back to your car. Operates from 4/1 – 9/30. Ages 3-5 are free. Must be at least 3 years old to tube. If you have 4 or more people, price is $25/each.
Option 2: Park at the State Park Tubing Facility, take their tram up-river and float back to your car. Tubes are $24/person, plus a $2 park fee. This is a 1.5 – 2hr hr float and operates seasonally as well.
My Ten Tips for Your Rainbow River Tubing Adventure
- If it’s a weekend or holiday, arrive by 8:30am as they can sell out of tubes. Alternatively, reserve one using 3rd party such as RainbowRiverKayak.com. Check with the 3rd party for pickup/drop off info.
- Bring: Ropes to tie tubes together (more fun), drinking water, waterproof phone case, snacks, goggles/mask to view aquatic life, sunscreen, and ideally a small speaker for tunes.
- Young children imo should opt for the tubes w/ bottoms. Seems safer & less stressful for adults supervising
- Disposable items are prohibited. Ie bring a thermos instead of plastic bottles and use Tupperware instead of baggies.
- Alcohol is prohibited when Rainbow River Tubing
- You cannot bring your own tube on the KP Hole float. You can bring your own at the State Park Tubing Facility…though must be a single and less than 60” diameter.
- Yes, you may see an alligator off in the distance, however it’s a very busy river, lots of people floating each day.
- Kayaks and life jackets can be rented (or bring your own).
- I suggest renting one extra tube with a bottom. This was priceless on both of our trips, giving us a place to secure cooler, food, drink and kids masks.
- KP Hole: 9435 SW 190th Avenue Rd, Dunnellon
- State Park Tubing Facility: 10830 S.W. 180th Ave Rd, Dunnellon
I’m a Tampa Bay Area Realtor, with over 32K people following my LovingStPete Guide on Social Media! You’ll receive up to $10K at closing when you use my LovingStPete Team to buy or sell a property! My past includes developing a vacation rental advertising business that I ran for more than a decade, then sold to HomeAway/VRBO. I’d love to help you buy or sell a property, simply contact me.